Monday 22 August 2011

Needles

Baby had her 6 week needles today.

Urgh.

We kicked off at around 11am today, and she spent the next 3.5 hours being clingy and whingey, making it very difficult to get anything done, let alone get dressed and out the door. She quietened down in the car, but then kicked off again as soon as we stopped, so I was the wild eyed woman wheeling a screeching stroller through the carpark. This meant I was quite flustered by the time we got to the front desk, which the desklady interpreted as me being stressed about baby getting needles, rather than me being stressed about baby being overly whingey, and tried to calm me down and explain it would all be fine.

For what it's worth, I worked out that whistling and clapping and telling baby to stop crying will not stop baby from crying, but imitating her crying will get her to pause for a bit.

Of course, as soon as we were in the medical room with the nurse, she was all bright pretty eyes and happy coo-ing. My plan of having her associate whinging all day with needles (and therefore happy laughing all day and no needles) fell over - as they jabbed her in the thigh she went from happy to shocked to angry to so distraught that her crying made no actual noise. And then they got her again.

I mentioned we'd got a few tears before, but she at least doubled her total this afternoon. When I held her afterwards, my cheek was wet from her tears.

Now we just have a week or so of potential high temperatures, moodiness and squirty poo to soldier through.

No comments:

Post a Comment